AFBE UK Scotland Membership Engagement Officer Intern
AFBE-UK promotes higher achievements in education and engineering particularly among people from black and minority ethnicity (BME) backgrounds.
AFBE-UK was founded in 2007. We are a registered not-for profit organisation that encourages people of black and minority ethnicity to study engineering, support those who aspire to be successful engineers, promote engineering in schools and promote diversity in the work force. We also advise organisations on how to promote diversity in industry and create healthy, inclusive and sustainable environments where minorities can do their best work and thrive.
AFBE-UK is passionate about our community and engineering, and aims to be at the forefront in finding positive and pragmatic solutions to the many challenges we face. AFBE-UK is committed to working with various community groups, professional organisations and associations to achieve this goal. The organisation is volunteer led by engineers all working in industry.
Our Scottish arm was set up in 2011 in Aberdeen.
Our objective is to increase the engineering talent available in the UK and to drive the economic growth in the UK.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and creative individual to support engagement with our current and prospective members. The role will include developing relationships with existing members, identifying new members and co-ordinating inputs from across the team in order to deliver member benefits.
This role will also include providing some administrative support to the various in-house teams. The intern will work across all areas of AFBE-UK Scotland. It is a broad role and will give the successful candidate exposure to many aspects of AFBE-UK Scotland operations while working with professionals, thereby developing their skills set along the way.
Main duties and tasks
• Manage membership registrations and ensure this feeds into Mailchimp for member communications.
• Communicating with individual members and corporate membership via phone/email
• Promoting membership benefits
• Liaising with other sectors AFBE-UK to answer queries
• Distribute various newsletters to members and specific groups within our membership.
• Adding internship opportunities to the company’s Job Board to ensure visibility to our student members
• Provide support to the Mentorship Programme team as they further develop the programme and start to reach out to mentors/mentees and later on in the programme during mentor/mentee matching
• Social media posts on Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn to keep members engaged and to communicate key messages to the public
• Ad-hoc administrative tasks from various teams as needed
We are looking for an enthusiastic intern to join our organisation and provide support to help achieve our goals. You will have broad administrative duties.
As an intern, you will collaborate with various members of our Leadership Team and their relevant team members.
Essential skills and experience:
1. Skilled user in Microsoft packages, including Excel
2. Good communication and interpersonal skills
3. Experience of producing creative and engaging copy and social media for outgoing communications
4. Ability to manage own workload, work independently and remotely.
5. Good planning and organisational skills including ability to prioritise workload and adhere to deadlines.
6. Ability to work effectively and flexibly as a member of a team.
7. Have a clear need for the opportunity and be able to show how it will help you overcome barriers to achieving your career goals. (this is assessed in the sections motivation for applying, skills development, and current employment status.)
8. Must define as Deaf or disabled which includes physical, sensory and mental impairments, neurodivergent, learning disabilities, learning difficulties such as dyslexia or long term health conditions. (You do not need to give details in the supporting statement unless you wish to. If you do, this will not be removed from the application before the shortlisting panel sees it.)
9. Generally good IT skills or a willingness to learn
10. Experience in using online meeting/event platforms such as Zoom, Eventbrite, Microsoft Teams to organise online events e.g. knowledge of event management would be an advantage
11. Familiarity with Survey Monkey
12. Interest in social enterprise
13. An awareness and interest in equalities and inclusion
If you would like to discuss this opportunity with the employer prior to submitting your application, please contact: email@example.com and they will get back to you as soon as possible.
Completed applications to be forwarded by 10am on Monday 31 January 2022: to Alex Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for this Job